Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Law and Order


You know it is sweep month when Law and Order episodes just became incomprehensibly twisty. Last night's episode gave me so many whiplashes that, by the end, I was convulsing violently and foaming at the mouth.

In a mere hour (actually, about 45 minutes with ads), the story involves: 1) an overdose, 2) a negligent homicide, 3) a physician who doesn't believe in chemotherapy for his cancer patients, 4) an accountant who devises an extraordinary plan to save his rich clients a lot of money with tax evasion, 5) a lesbian couple who had fallen out, 6) an unborn child with entangling maternity and custody issues, 7) a legal battle over homosexual partners' "marriage"/spousal rights, 8) a huge pile of money to be inherited, 9) a King-Solomon style of trick to resolve the crazy case.

Rene Balcer!

After 17 years of watching this series, I thought I'd have learned something about plotting. Maybe I should take a class or workshop on this.

No comments:

The Ending of Le Samourai (1967), Explained

A quick online search after watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai confirmed my suspicion: The plot is very rarely understood b...