Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Midnight in Paris




I would hardly call myself a fan of either Paris or Woody Allen, yet this movie strikes the right tone for me. The little tinglings on my skin sparked reliably in nearly every scene --- the know-it-all professor played by Michael Sheen, the ugly American tourist family, the literary and artistic celebrities from the 1920s. The whole lot. Plus I recognized and identified with the sense of being born too late, the stumbling, clumsy awe toward the "giants" one honestly admires. Plus the self-awareness about one's romantic fantasies about the past --- can't really live in a world without Zithromax.

No comments:

The Ending of Le Samourai (1967), Explained

A quick online search after watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai confirmed my suspicion: The plot is very rarely understood b...