Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chinese fake chicken

I cook, sometimes.

Yesterday I scoured the frig and dug out the last bits of groceries since the shopping trip 2 weeks ago.

I chopped up the green beans and shiitake mushroom into short strips, saute with garlic, added water and covered to steam a while, and then threw in chopped pieces of a wrinkly tofu product known as "vegetarian chicken".

Salt, pepper, a bit of soy sauce, a couple of tablespoons of sugar should do. I dropped a scoop of "lemongrass sauce" from a jar for improvisational fun.

It probably needed five more minutes to soften a bit more, but I lost patience and turned the gas off. Served on white rice.



Lemongrass sauce




Store-bought fake chicken (not my photo).

4 comments:

CAVA said...

I've seen plenty of Lee Kum kee sauce but not Lemongrass. Is it nice?

Little Meatball said...

The flavor is quite mild. I like it. Beats making my own lemongrass sauce ...

sunset said...

A couple of tablespoonful of sugar...that was quite a lot! You must be from JiangZhe-Shanghai area.

Little Meatball said...

Not I, but yes my mother is.

BTW the sugar was not a lot in proportion to the amount of main ingredients.

The Ending of Le Samourai (1967), Explained

A quick online search after watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai confirmed my suspicion: The plot is very rarely understood b...