Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

Moran, Monk, etc.

Jason Moran posted a video of his playing on YT. I find it rather lovely. I can see the influence of Thelonius Monk. Heck, who doesn't want to imitate Monk? He's so coooooooool. I once happened on a video in which Oscar Peterson commented that Monk was a great composer, but his techniques were questionable. Under the video were many indignant protests in defense of Monk's technique. Peterson is probably right, but still, Monk is so cool!

I can listen to this stuff all day. Besides the dissonant melody, it is the "swing" that fascinates and animates me.

No comments:

The Ending of Le Samourai (1967), Explained

A quick online search after watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai confirmed my suspicion: The plot is very rarely understood b...